Upcoming construction projects on both the north and south sides of the Notre Dame campus are sure to positively impact the University’s teaching, research and service mission for decades to come. But with such growth will come some changes.
During this past spring semester, a 14-member committee composed of representatives from the undergraduate and graduate student bodies, the Faculty Senate, the Staff Advisory Council and staff from relevant departments examined how campus growth will affect parking and offered solutions to manage the situation for the next two to four years. The committee members placed a premium on preserving the pedestrian nature of the Notre Dame campus and ensuring convenience and safety. Their recommendations have resulted in the following changes and additions, effective at the start of the academic year:
- On Wednesday, July 30, fences will be erected in the B2 library parking lot to accommodate upcoming construction on a new academic building. The resulting loss of parking for faculty and staff will be addressed by expanding their parking to the D2 South and Middle lots.
- Half of the D2 Middle and all of the D2 North lots will remain designated for student parking. Seniors and juniors who live in North and Mod Quads will be eligible to purchase passes specifically for those lots.
- Additional parking for other students as well as faculty and staff will be available in the new lot on Bulla Road west of Twyckenham Drive.
- A free shuttle for students, faculty and staff will operate weekdays from 7 to 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. on the north side of the campus, with stops at the Bulla lot, Hesburgh Library, East Gate and Main Building.
- A wide, fenced, paved and well-lit walkway with call boxes and cameras has been constructed between the Bulla lot and Leahy Drive near the Guglielmino Athletics Complex.
- In advance of multiple construction projects on the south side of the campus that also will result in parking realignment, another free shuttle for students, faculty and staff will operate weekdays from 7 to 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. between the C1 parking lot near the track and field complex and the Main Circle, with a stop at Eddy Street and Holy Cross Drive near Legends.
- Lighted shelters will be constructed in the Bulla and C1 lots for shuttle riders.
- Notre Dame Security Police will increase patrols in and near the Bulla and C1 lots.
Other details regarding these additions and changes will be communicated in August. Suggestions are welcome and can be submitted to the Parking Office.
As the University continues to grow and improve, your patience and support is sincerely appreciated.