When the the Fighting Irish of the University of Notre Dame take on the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama in the BCS National Championship football game Jan. 7 (Monday) at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, it will be the culmination of a three-day celebration that will include a number of events for alumni and fans.
- Notre Dame Pep Rally — 7 p.m., Jan. 5 (Saturday), Ocean Drive between Sixth and Ninth Streets, Miami. The Notre Dame Marching Band, cheerleaders and leprechaun will be in attendance, along with speakers including former Notre Dame head football coach Lou Holtz; legendary players Joe Theismann, Tony Rice, Pat Terrell and Mike Golic Sr.; and comedian Martin Short. Free and open to the public.
- Discover Championship Fan Experience — noon to 8 p.m., Jan. 5 and 6 (Saturday and Sunday), Ocean Drive between Sixth and Ninth Streets, Miami. Presented by Bud Light and Dr Pepper, this celebration will feature live music, interactive games, a zip line, contests and much more. Free and open to the public.
- Notre Dame Masses — 10 a.m. Jan. 6 (Sunday), in two locations: the Grand Ballroom of the Intercontinental Hotel, 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami; and the ballroom of the Bonaventure Resort and Spa, 250 Racquet Club Rd., Weston, Fla. Notre Dame’s president, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., will be celebrant and homilist at the Intercontinental, and Rev. Paul Kollman, C.S.C., executive director of Notre Dame’s Center for Social Concerns, will preside over Mass at the Bonaventure Resort. Free and open to the public.
- National Championship Game Service Project — noon to 4:30 p.m., Jan. 6 (Sunday), across from Mount Zion Baptist Church, 301 Northwest Ninth St., Miami. In partnership with Roots in the City, volunteers from Notre Dame and Alabama will come together to build an urban garden, transforming a city lot into rows of raised garden beds and beginning the planting process. Notre Dame alumni and friends wishing to help should register by calling or emailing Katie Rutledge, service programs director for the Notre Dame Alumni Association, at 574-631-6723 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notre Dame Gameday — Jan. 7 (Monday), noon to 4 p.m., Bayfront Park, 301 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami. Notre Dame alumni, family and friends are invited to join in this festival that will feature live music by Billboard Chart-topping Celtic band Gaelic Storm as well as performances by the Notre Dame Marching Band and cheerleaders and special celebrity guest speakers (including Martin Short, Regis Philbin, Dick Vitale, Cris Collinsworth, Mike Lee, Ricky Watters, Justin Tuck and Luther Bradley). Pre-registration was encouraged but is now closed. A limited inventory of tickets will be available at the door for $100/person (free for children under 12).
A complete listing of events and activities can be found online at gameday.nd.edu. The BCS Championship Game kicks off at 8:30 p.m. EST in Sun Life Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN.