Sister Jean Lenz, O.S.F., assistant vice president for student affairs at the University of Notre Dame, and the late Rev. Anthony J.TonyLauck, C.S.C., professor of art at Notre Dame, will have their names added to the Universitys Wall of Honor on Thursday (Nov.1) at 1:30 p.m. during a ceremony on the ground floor of the Main Building.
Notre Dames president, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., will preside at the ceremony, and Sister Lenz, along with family members of the late Father Lauck, will be in attendance.
The Wall of Honor was established in 1999 in the Main Building to mark its reopening following a two-year restoration project.It now features the names of 25 men and women whose contributions to Notre Dame life have beenlasting, pervasive and profound.
A Chicago native and a Franciscan sister of the Congregation of the Third Order of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate, Sister Lenz, who earned a masters degree from Notre Dame in 1967, was among the first women rectors on campus following the Universitys transition to coeducation in 1972 after 130 years as an all-male institution.
She headed Farley Hall from 1973 until 1983, when she became the rector and chaplain of Notre Dames London Program. Since 1984, she has served as assistant vice president for student affairs, and for many of those years she also served as an adjunct instructor in theology.She is the author ofLoyal Sons and Daughters,an account of her years as an administrator, teacher, mentor, minister and alumna of the University.
Father Lauck, who died April 12, 2001, was graduated from Notre Dame in 1942, studied theology at Holy Cross College in Washington, D.C., for four years and was ordained to the priesthood on June 24, 1946. Before joining the Notre Dame faculty in 1950, he studied sculpture at the Corcoran School of Art, Columbia University, State University of New York, the Cranbrook Academy and Alfred University and made a yearlong study tour of European art museums. From 1950 to 1973 he taught at Notre Dame and served on the staff of Moreau Seminary, where he also lived. He was chairman of Notre Dame’s art department from 1960 to 1967. After his retirement, he continued his art work and remained in residence at Moreau until his declining health required him to move to Holy Cross House in 1998.
Works by Father Lauck abound on the Notre Dame campus. Among the most visible are a massive replica of his statue of the Visitation on the south side of the Eck Visitors’ Center, the stained glass windows in the chapel and library of Moreau Seminary, the statue of Our Lady of the University at the Main Circle of the campus, and the statue of Blessed Brother Andre Bessette, C.S.C., in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.