Student injured in small explosion in engineering building

Author: Julie Hail Flory

A University of Notre Dame graduate student was injured in an explosion and small fire in the Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering this afternoon.

The student suffered moderately serious burns as a result of the incident, which occurred just after 1 p.m. during a chemical experiment in a basement laboratory. The explosion caused a small, smoky fire that triggered the building’s fire alarm and led to its evacuation. The Notre Dame Fire Department responded and the student was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

The chemicals involved in the experiment were not toxic and normal operations were resumed at Fitzpatrick Hall shortly after the incident. There were no reports of significant damage.