The Gender Relations Center (GRC) at the University of Notre Dame has created the Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) to provide educational and preventative programs that will galvanize students to work toward stopping violence.
The goals for the VPI are to raise awareness about violence in the local community, increase understanding about global violence, promote the healing of survivors of violence, raise funds for local non-profit agencies invested in violence prevention and service to survivors and serve as a flagship for violence prevention at other Catholic colleges and universities.
The VPI’s most prominent component will be Sexual Assault Awareness Week (SAAW) from Feb. 22 to March 1, which will include the following events:
- Feb. 22 to March 1:“Giving a Voice”poster campaign, featuring GRC peer educators
- Feb. 23: Notre Dame Take Back The Night, which includes a prayer service at 7 p.m. in the Log Chapel, march and Speak Out bonfire at 8 p.m. at Holy Cross Hill
- Feb. 24 to 26: Resource tables in North and South dining halls and LaFortune Student Center from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Feb. 25: Committee on Sexual Assault Prevention (CSAP) student forum at 7 p.m. in the Reckers Hospitality Room
- Feb. 27:“A Time to Heal”dinner with speakers from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Legends; RSVP by Feb. 23 to firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-9340
- March 1: SAAW Sunday, featuring petitions, ribbons and prayer cards at campus Masses
SAAW is co-sponsored by the GRC, CSAP, student government, Men Against Violence, Feminist Voice, SOS of Madison Center and Identity Project of Notre Dame.
The VPI will sponsor a writing workshop March 21, an experiential learning retreat March 28, South Bend Take Back the Night April 23 and a festival on South Quad April 24.
_ Contact: Elizabeth Moriarty, Gender Relations Center, 574-631-9340,_ " email@example.com ":mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org __