The University of Notre Dame will present a film series titledFilms and Faith Weekend: Faces of the Saintfrom Oct. 27 to 29 (Friday to Sunday) in the Browning Cinema of the UniversitysDeBartoloCenterfor the Performing Arts.
The series is presented by Notre Dames Departments of Theology and Film, Television and Theatre and theDeBartoloCenteras aCollegeofArtsand LettersDecade of the Artssignature event. Admission ranges from $3 to $6 and tickets are available in advance at the center box office or by calling 574-631-2800 or visiting http://performingarts.nd.edu/ on the Web.
The weekend will open with a reception and keynote address in the Browning Cinema lobby at 6 p.m. Oct. 27. All films will be preceded by introductory remarks and followed by question-and-answer sessions.
Each of the six featured films focuses on saintly individuals and actual saints to explore the ways spiritual life has been portrayed in dramatically different ways by French, German, Italian and American directors over the past five decades. Selected films are:
- Diary of a Country Priest(1951),Oct. 27, 7 p.m. - directed by Robert Bresson, in French with English subtitles
- The Ninth Day(2005), Oct. 27, 10 p.m. – directed by Volker Schlondorff, in German with English subtitles
- The Flowers ofSt.Francis(1950), Oct. 28, 3 p.m. – directed by Roberto Rossellini, in Italian with English subtitles
- Therese(1986), Oct. 28, 10 p.m., and Oct. 29, 7 p.m. – directed by Alain Cavalier, in French with English subtitles
- Into Great Silence(2005), Oct. 29, 3 p.m. – directed by Philip Groening
More information on all films is available by visiting the DeBartolo Center Web site.
The Browning Cinema is the only THX-certified cinema inIndiana, and one of only six THX cinemas on a university campus. Film director George Lucas developed the THX technology, which affects room acoustics, background noise, image quality and brightness, projection and sound systems. Approximately 4,000 cinemas are THX-certified worldwide.
* Contact: * _Jon Vickers,DeBartoloCenter, 574-631-2725, Vickers.firstname.lastname@example.org