In celebration of the inauguration of Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., as the University of Notre Dame’s 17 th president, the University’sMarieP.DeBartoloCenterfor the Performing Arts will host several cultural events the evening of Sept. 22 (Thursday).
Internationally renowned concert pianist Leon Fleisher will present a special performance for guests of the inauguration, faculty, staff and students at 9 p.m. in the center’s Leighton Concert Hall. Joining with the Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra and the combined voices of Notre Dame’s choral groups, Fleisher and the orchestra will perform Beethoven’s “Emperor Concerto.” The orchestra and choirs will perform two movements from Haydn’s Choral Mass.
Events also will be held in the center’s four other performance spaces, as well as Notre Dame’s Washington Hall. All performances are free, but tickets are required and available on a limited basis. For further information, call the center’s ticket office at 574-631-2800 by Friday (Sept. 16).
Scheduled performances are:
- Ramsey Lewis, “Jazz with the Ramsey Lewis Trio,”8 p.m., Decio Mainstage Theater, performing arts center; **
- Bohola, traditional Irish-American Music,9 p.m., Washington Hall; **
- Craig Cramer, professor of organ at Notre Dame, two performances at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., Reyes Organ and Choral Hall, performing arts center; **
- “Babette’s Feast” (Father Jenkins’ favorite movie), two screenings, 7 and 10 p.m., Browning Cinema, performing arts center; **
- Blues and Poetry Café, hosted by poet Cornelius Eady,6:30 to 11 p.m., ** Philbin Studio Theatre, performing arts center. Tickets are not required for this event. Guests will be seated as space is available.
The performances are part of a two-day event Sept. 22 and 23 marking Father Jenkins’ inauguration. An academic forum of world leaders, a Mass and an academic procession are among the other scheduled events, which will be highlighted by the investiture of Father Jenkins at3 p.m.Sept. 23 in theJoyceCenterarena.
A complete schedule of inauguration events is available on the Web at http://inauguration.nd.edu .
* Contact: * _Laura Moran, performing arts center, 574-631-2731, firstname.lastname@example.org _
Video streaming for inauguration events“p. /content.cfm?topicid=13744