A wide variety of events, ranging from academic to athletic happenings to a flyover from Navy Hornets, will take place on the University of Notre Dame campus this weekend for the home football game against Navy.
Highlights from the weekend include:
Friday (Oct. 9)
- The Notre Dame Alumni Association’s Football Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Eck Visitors Center. Alumni and fans are invited for free food, music, prize giveaways and for a live conversation with the head coach of the Notre Dame men’s basketball team, Mike Brey, at 3:15 p.m. on the ND Live Stage.
- Free campus tours, 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. at the Eck Visitors Center. These 90-minute walking tours give visitors information and a look at iconic sites at Notre Dame, including the Grotto, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the Main Building and the Hesburgh Library.
- “Navy and Notre Dame: Partners in Leadership,” 2 p.m. at the Eck Visitors Center Auditorium, with Capt. John Carter, chairman of the Naval Science Department and commanding officer of the Navy ROTC, as part of the On the Sidelines lecture series.
- Trumpets Under the Dome, 4:10-4:30 p.m. in the Main Building Rotunda. The Notre Dame Trumpet Section will play “Notre Dame Our Mother” and the Notre Dame Victory March.
- Notre Dame Glee Club open rehearsal, 5-5:30 p.m. in Room 329, Coleman-Morse Hall.
- A pep rally takes place at 5:45 p.m. in the North Dome in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse.
Saturday (Oct. 10)
- Midnight Drummer’s Circle takes place from midnight to 12:45 a.m. at the front steps of the Main Building.
- Game Day Rosary, 10:30-11 a.m. at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
- “Blessed Oscar Romero: Bearing Witness to the Good News of Jesus,” 10:30-11:30 a.m. in the Andrews Auditorium in the lower level of Geddes Hall. This lecture, part of the Institute for Church Life’s Saturdays with the Saints series, features a talk from Margaret Pfeil, associate professional specialist of the Department of Theology and the Center for Social Concerns.
- “Tissue Microenvironment: Friend or Foe for Cancer Metastasis,” noon-1 p.m. in 101 Jordan Hall of Science. Delivered by Siyuan Zhang, Nancy Dee Assistant Professor of Cancer Research in the Harper Cancer Research Institute, this lecture is part of the College of Science’s Science Exploration Series.
- “Father Theodore Hesburgh, C.S.C., Among the Notre Dame Presidents,” noon-1 p.m. in the Annenberg Auditorium in the Snite Museum of Art, with Timothy Matovina, professor of theology and co-director of the Institute for Latino Studies, moderating a panel consisting of Rev. Thomas Blantz, C.S.C., professor emeritus of history; Nancy Haegel, Materials Science Center Director at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory; and Rev. Edward “Monk” Malloy, president emeritus, as part of the Saturday Scholar Series.
- Glee Club Pre-Game Concert, 12:40-1:05 p.m., Library Quad near the Reflecting Pool.
- Player Walk, 1:15 p.m. from the Guglielmino Athletics Complex through Library Quad.
- Marching Band concert, 2-2:30 p.m. at Bond Hall, followed by the Marching Band March Out at 2:40 p.m. at the Main Building.
- There will be a pregame flyover by four U.S. Navy F/A-18 Hornets from the Sunliners of VFA-81 and the Valions of VFA-15. The pilots will be introduced at a third-period timeout during the game.
- Mass takes place 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.
For more information and a full list of events, visit gameday.nd.edu.