This intimate lakeside worship space is used regularly for Masses, but it serves also as a reminder of Notre Dame’s earliest days. The current Log Chapel is a replica of the one built by Rev. Stephen Badin in 1831 as a missionary headquarters for northern Indiana. The original was destroyed by fire.
But the original chapel was standing when Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., and the band of brothers who joined him as missionaries from France to Indiana arrived at the site where Father Sorin established the University of Notre Dame. A Founders’ Memorial is near the front of the Log Chapel and is dedicated to Father Sorin and the seven Holy Cross brothers who stood with him in 1842.
Learn more about spirituality at Notre Dame.